The BLDE Association is involved in providing education, from primary to professional education. It was established in the year 1910 by ‘Vachana Pitamaha’ the late Dr. P.G. Halakatti. The Century-old Association has renewed its committed goal towards enhancing quality education by adding new institutions and new education programmes in its existing institutions.
The BLDE Association has been propagating education in Bijapur and Bagalkot districts, which are recognised as socially, economically and educationally backward areas by then British Government and by present UGC, State Government and Central Government. Dr. P.G. Halakatti with other philanthropists of Bijapur founded a co-operative bank and this association with a primary objective of propagating education.
In the year 1917, the Association made a humble beginning by adopting a High School, handed over by a German Missionary, who was returning to Germany because of World War-I. Thus, the journey of BLDEA towards imparting education started.
In the year 1942, a religious leader and a visionary Shri Sanganabasaveshwar Maha Shivayogigalu of Banthanal laid a firm foundation to the BLDE Association by way of establishing various educational institutions. He played a significant role in developing the Association and established many schools and colleges imparting Primary, Higher Secondary and Higher education.
In the 60s another great visionary Shri B.M. Patil took over the responsibility of reaching out education to the poor and the needy. With his great vision and tenacity, a new dimension was given to the functioning of the Association, by establishing institutions to impart professional education. Following, this BLDEA established an Engineering College, Pharmacy College, Nursing College and the Medical College, along with its own 1000 bed teaching hospital, a first of its kind in the entire country.
A new era began when Mr. M. B. Patil, a young and dynamic leader, took over the reins of the BLDE Association. His primary objective was to provide quality education. With recent concepts of liberalisation, globalisation and tremendous expansion of knowledge in various new courses, he conceived the need for the establishment of the University. His dream came true with the establishment of the BLDE University on 29-02-2008.
Presently, the Association sponsors and runs more then 75 Institutions in both rural and urban areas of Bijapur and Bagalkot Districts. The spectrum covers Primary schools, High Schools, Pre-University Colleges, Degree colleges in faculties of Arts, Science, Commerce, Law, Management, Education Science, Fine arts, Pharmacy, Nursing, Nursery, Sericulture, Engineering & Polytechnics, Ayurveda, Medical sciences, with Postgraduate courses.
- 1910 Established by Vachana Pitamaha Dr. P.G. Halakatti.
- 1942 Foundation for higher education by His Holiness Shri Shivayogi Banthanala Sanganabasaweshwara Swamiji.
- 1974 Foundation for professional education by great visionary Shri B. M. Patil.
- 1990 Foundation for modernization and globalization by Shri M. B. Patil
- 2008 Beginning of new era- BLDE University.
- 2010 Shri. B. M. Patil (CBSE) Public School.
- Take over of Ayurveda College from AVS Samithi in 2011.
All these institutions, spread across the State are engaged in providing primary to postgraduate degrees and vocational courses.
- Assets worth 12,359 Lakhs.
- Annual Budget 4,630 Lakhs.
- Work Force 2,000.
- Student Enrollment 20,000.